Whether you have just arrived from another country or have lived in the Dallas area for some time, welcome to the United States and Redeemer’s ESL classes! We’re glad you’re here! Learning to speak English is the key to many new opportunities. It helps you navigate everyday situations, build new friendships, and feel more at home in your community. And yes, English is a challenging (sometimes a bit crazy) language, but it can also be a rewarding adventure. Our ESL ministry team and the members of our church are delighted to open our doors to you! We look forward to helping you learn and practice English as you develop valuable new communication skills.
1) We offer English classes on four levels:
- Beginning English: for those who speak no or little English. Students will learn the English alphabet, proper pronunciation, simple words, basic greetings, comments and questions, “survival” skills (such as registering for school, emergency information, how to tell the doctor what hurts, how to purchase and pay for things with American currency).
- Advanced Beginning English: Students will continue to practice the basics and build fluency with commonly used vocabulary, English grammar, sight reading, writing, and pronunciation practice.
- Intermediate English: For those who want to improve their English grammar and vocabulary and progress in their speaking and writing skills.
- Advanced English Conversation: For those with more advanced English skills who want to improve fluency in speaking and writing. We also work on advanced vocabulary and grammar.
2) When do classes meet?
Classes begin on Friday, September 7. They end on Friday, May 17. Our ESL calendar follows the McKinney ISD calendar.
Our classes begin at 10:00 a.m. and most classes end at 11:30 a.m. The Advanced Conversation class will end at 11:45 a.m.
3) Additional Sessions.
- 9:00 a.m. Advanced Reading Group
- 9:30 a.m. Pronunciation Warm-Up Session for Intermediate and Advanced English speakers.
- 12:00 p.m. Bible Study and Discussion Group
4) Where do classes meet?
Classes meet at Redeemer Presbyterian Church, 7820 Silverado Trail in McKinney. Enter on the north side of the building. You will see a sign for Redeemer Day School above the entrance.
5) How much do classes cost?
All classes are free.
6) Will I need a textbook?
That depends on the class. Teachers will discuss materials during the first class.
7) How do I register?
Registration begins on Friday, September 7. Come at 10:00 a.m. for registration, an introduction to ESL, and a short class.
After September 7, come to any class for registration and placement.
8) Is childcare available?
Yes. You can fill out a registration form for your child on September 7.
9) Need more information?
Please call 972-529-1502 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.